This page is in progress and will be updated periodically. Submissions are welcome.
Rainforest lesson plans, teacher resources, help for school reports and school projects
Handouts and lesson plans
rainforests.mongabay.com/kids in other languages:
Games and activities
Other mongabay sites
News articles on various topics
Advice from scientists and experts
Interviews with Scientists [Interviews appear on the mongabay.con news site]
Other useful sites
- Rainforests An overview of tropical rainforests for kids from mongabay.com
- Jimmy the Joey: The True Story of an Amazing Koala Rescue This warm and inspirational photographic picture book for ages 4 to 8 is a compelling and uplifting true story, with a sweet message about coping with loss that draws attention to an important and threatened wild animal.
- Ten friends to remember [PDF] An illustrated story book for children designed to serve as an environmental education tool. FREE download!
- The Day Mother Nature Decided to Paint Her House Children 4 and older are introduced to the whimsical character, Mother Nature, as she enlist the aid of her dear friend Father Time to help her paint her house.
- Through Endangered Eyes - a poetic journey into the wild 21 endangered species represented with poems and acrylic dot paintings; children ages 4-9 years old
- The Little Maestro The Little Maestro is a boy born in the rainforest to save it from sadness and destruction. As he grows, he becomes the pied piper of the forest, bringing harmony to all the animals and plants, to the music of the rainforest. A spirited blend of fact and fantasy, poetry and prose, and lots of song lyrics.
The Mongabay Kids site (rainforests.mongabay.com/kids) aims to help children learn about rainforests and the environment. This site is still under development and I am working to add additional content as time permits. If you have comments or are interested in submitting educational content for the site, please feel free to contact me.
The site is available in many different languages, including Portuguese, Chinese, French, Spanish, Japanese, and German.